SE “GIPROKOKS” is a design institute with history of over 85 years.
In the twenties of the last century, increasing needs of the steel industry gave impulse to development of coke oven and by-product enterprises.
State Institute for Designing and Construction of Coke Oven and By-Product Plants “Koksostroy” was established by Order dated June 19, 1929.
The first fabrication drawings with title block of Koksostroy Institute were issued in November 1929.
In September 1930, Design Division of the Institute was transformed into design organization on full cost accounting basis, “GIPROKOKS” Institute which was assigned not only to technological designing, but to development and then coordination of all engineering policy within the industry being created.
As far back, in those years, there has been a laid-up of basic provisions that are still relevant to Giprokoks: complexity of coke oven and by-product plant, mechanization and automation, minimum energy consumption per unit of output, minimization of operating staff, use of coke oven gas as raw material instead of fuel.
Based of the American system, GIPROKOKS developed a typical design of coke oven plant, designed for output of 1.3 mln. t and 830 th. t of coke per year, called “Giprokoks PK-ovens of the first normalization.” In the early 30’s, the “PK-1” has been successfully implemented at Zaporizhzhye, Kryvyi Rih, Mariupol and Novoyenakievskyi coke oven plants.
Along with the task of creating a technically perfect coke oven, the priority was to create advanced technologies of dry coke cooling, semi-coking, chemical synthesis of coking products, use of coke oven gas.
Test run of the first pilot dry coke cooling plant was carried out at Kerch coke oven and by-product plant in October 1936.
Taking into account operating experience of “PK-1” ovens, “Giprokoks PK-ovens of the second normalization” project was developed.
A design of new intermittently operating horizontal coke oven was more technically advanced, developing the structure with twin vertical flue with recirculation (PVR). That battery was put into operation at Kharkov experimental coke oven plant in 1939. In total, for the years 1933-1940, 15 new coke oven and by-product plants were built according to Giprokoks design.
New technologies of by-product plants were introduced into practice. By the early 1950s, a number of individual coke oven and by-product items reached 70.
Reception, crushing and preparation processes of coal blend for coking were elaborated, basing on new technological principles improving coke quality values.
Special attention was given to mechanization and automation of operating procedures. The best developments and design solutions were implemented in the design of Avdeyevka Coke Oven and By-Product Plant, at that moment the world’s largest one.
The 1950’s marked Giprokoks with entry into the world market of designing coke oven and by-product plants. Integrated projects of commercial plants were done for China, North Korea, Poland, Hungary, Romania, Bulgaria and India.
A term “Giprokoks school” originated in the middle of the 20th century basing on inner corporate culture, active and creative position, specific nature of personnel and responsible activities performed.
In the early 1990s, almost every third ton of coke produced in the world was pushed from coke ovens designed by Giprokoks.
From the first years of the 21st century, marked by the rapid growth of global demand-supply market conditions for the steel products, on the rise Giprokoks has entered a new period of its activity.
In 2001, Giprokoks, the first among design organizations of Ukraine, was audited and certified with “Quality Management Systems applicable to Engineering and complex design of documentation”, developed by “Lloyd’s Register Quality Assurance” in accordance with ISO.
Currently, Giprokoks has been providing a full range of design work in all segments of the design, covering all stages of production of coke and by-products.
Responding to the current challenges of Ukrainian energy market, Giprokoks has been diversifying its activities. Today the Institute is working on using coal gasification technology to produce synthetic gas and its conversion.
General engineering of GIPROKOKS – construction, reconstruction and renovation of coke oven and by-product plants as well as other facilities of various levels of complexity: environmentally friendly and economically viable technologies with the use of natural and recycled resources in unity with process automation.
- Comprehensive development of design documentation for construction of new coke oven and by-product plants, revamping and expansion of the operating plants;
- Development and forecasting of basic guidelines for coke making industry technical development;
Designing of concept and National Program for Ukrainian coke making industry development;
- Analysis of production status and provision of recommendations for its improvements and introduction of new state-of-the-art technologies;
- Elaborating the long-term plans and feasibility studies for optimal arrangement of coke oven and by-product plants;
- Elaborating the business plans to provide grounding for the necessity of investments into construction and revamping of coke oven and by-product plants;
- Scientific-research and experimental-designing activities;
- Design supervision for construction of coke oven and by-product facilities;
- Participation in start-up, adjustment and achievement of guarantee values during the coke oven and by-product facilities operation;
- Rendering of wide range of engineering services.
Basic principles Giprokoks is guided with while choosing the technology and design of coke oven and by-product plants for the outlook:
- Minimizing the harmful impact on environment;
- Improving the conformability of working conditions for maintenance staff by optimizing its strength;
- Expansion of raw materials base of coke making production by introduction in great extend of out-of-oven preparation of coal blend;
- Implementation of new technologies along with automated programmable control;
- Updating the designs of coke oven units and coke quenching system;
- Introduction of new technologies for recovery and processing coal carbonization by-products;
- Development and introduction of energy-saving technologies for utilization of waste energy.
SE “GIPROKOKS” Organizational Structure